August 8, 2012

Wedding Inspiration _ wooden road sign

 We have guests coming from the whole world. I thought it would be a fun idea to show the distances on a wooden road sign. It is also a way to let our friends and family know that we are well aware of how far they have come to spend this day with us and that we are extremely grateful! 
This is a cheap decoration to make. I only had to buy the wooden pole for the middle, which cost 2,5 euro and the black paint which I just bought at the supermarket in the kids section. The rest was made out of old wooden crates that I found. 

Start by taking the crate apart. They are usually stapled together. Use something to lever them out. 

 I then attached a piece of wood to the table with a grip (I'm not sure what the exact word is=) and sawed one edge creating a pointed edge. 
 I got 10 pieces of wood all in all. 1 broke when I tried getting the staple out, so in the end I had 9. These aren't even all of the cities I wanted to include, but they are the main ones. Furthest distance: Brisbane Australia. 
Here are the road signs. You can also see the pots with grass on the floor. They are going to be on each table with the number of the table painted onto the pot. All my friends that have seen these think I'm completely crazy..but oh well, that's me! I still really like this idea and I'm sticking with it. :-p 
This is our invitation that I made. I put the road sign in the top left corner. So it will be recognised by the guests later during the dinner. There are many other details that had been thought about and will be shown again during our wedding, which I think is a nice way to tie everything together.
UPDATE: Here is the ready road sign at the venue on the day of our wedding. The guests loved this idea! It created a subject to talk about as well as realising how far they'd come. 












No comments:

Post a Comment