March 21, 2011

Architecture doll house III

This is the third entry about the Architecture doll house that I've been making over the last few months. I wanted to update my old doll house (exhibition box). The old one had pink flowery wallpaper, old wooden furniture, etc. I really liked it as well but I wanted to create a modern doll house that showed some of the trends going on now. It'd be fun to make a new one every 10 years or so to see how design changes. What do you think? In this dollhouse I've included some of the trends of the last few years and perhaps future ones (?). You can see the progress of the doll house by looking at my previous enteries: I and II.
Included in the doll house I have made:
- A Random Moooi lamp.
- 3 Benjamin Hubert lamps which I hung in a twig to get the scandanavian naturistic style.
- A clock without numbers straight on the wall
- A cement kitchen island with gas
- A wooden rustic benchtop/table overlapping the cement kitchen. Cement has been a material used a lot in the last years and the combination with wood has become a classic.
- "recycled" materials such as the wine cork. (It has been in to use old wooden crates with writing on them)
- Grey rustic woolen rug.
For instructions on how to make these objects check out the previous enteries. I and II.
After doing the final touches yesterday the dollhouse is (almost) finished. I drilled 3 holes in the top to hang the lighting, glued the carpet on (I only noticed that the edge was lose after looking at the pictures, so that is fixed now). I drew a clock on the wall. I was undecided whether to draw the type of clock with the big numbers (just 12, 3, 6, 9) or like this. I also added the cork as a pot holder, an unused "benjamin hubert lamp" as a vase, and put some toothpicks in a clay jug for decoration. The only thing missing I think is a colourful painting in the background.
The kitchen table is made from soft wood used for architecture and boat models. I added a "glass" sheet that interlocks with the wooden benchtop. The glass has a horizontal slit and the wooden piece has a vertical slit.

A close-up of the Moooi Random light, the clock, and the corner with various objects. The cork I thought resembeled well the "recycle" approach to architecture and design that is popular nowadays.

View from above of the cement kitchen island with a wooden benchtop/table. The wannabe Benjamin Hubert lights are hanging from a twig from the ceiling.




This was a slightly earlier version. I took away the beer bottles in order to give less untidy look.


No comments:

Post a Comment