|This is the final result of my Moooi lamp. I am very happy with it and it was nice to be able to give a handmade present for Christmas.|
To make your own Moooi "random" light you will need:
- A ball (I used a 55cm in diameter yoga ball) - yoga ball, beach ball, kids plastic ball, depending on how big you want it.
- 400 m of string. You can use both plastic string and paper string or even cotton yarn. Usually a ball of string is about 50 or 100m.
- Wall paper paste (I used 35g of powder that you mix with water for each ball). You can also buy ready made paste.
- Light bulb (look for a biiig one) either clear or not.
- Electric cable. At Bolagret you can find really funky colourful "rope cables" that look real nice!
The first step will take you 2-3 hours and then consider 24 hours for the glue to completely dry.
Ball: 2 - 12 euro (depending on what type you use)
String: 1 euro / ball of string = 4 euros.
Wallpaper paste: 3 euros
Big light bulb: 4 euros
Electricity cable: 7 euros
Total cost: max 30 euros for first lamp shade and 18 euros for the next ones.
(The original Moooi Random light costs at least 450 euros and copies can be found from 80 euros)
The yoga ball I bought cost 12 euro but obviously I can use it again, so I hardly see this as a cost. And obviously if one plans to make many, you already have a ball that you can use.
|This is the ball after about 2-3 balls of string has been wound on.|
|You will need about 400m of string to cover a ball with a 55cm diameter. Make sure you leave an area without any string so that you can take the ball out. It only needs to be about 10-15cm large.|
|These are the two lamp shades that we made. A white and a blue.|
|And this is the result!|
|My lovely Moooi random copy!|